2.05.2012

inspired by


Sometimes it seems the easiest way to tap into what you believe is when someone asks you a pointed question.  About five years ago a college student from out west contacted me about an artist profile for a class paper, and she wanted to write it about my work. One of the things she me about was my favorite jeweler, and what jewelry did i look at for inspiration.  I told her i had lots of inspirations; African and Egyptian art, architecture, nature, anything and everything around me, but that i thought it was most important to look outside of your own medium to avoid the trap of your work mimicking other artists in your medium.  The most inspiring thing i saw this week was a detail from a railing. This is definitely going to inspire some work from me! I can't get over how amazing this piece is, i found the picture on David Norrie's website, a blacksmith who lives about an hour away from where i live now.
I adore this piece and plan on paying homage to it real soon in my own studio!

www.davidnorrie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment